Here are a number of my testimonials. More can be found on Google and Facebook
- I have been learning with Jonathan for about 15 months now and I cannot recommend him highly enough. I returned to the piano after a 25 year gap and it has been a joy and a solace. He is very patient and positive, as well as easy to talk and laugh with which is always a bonus in a teacher. The lessons are well structured. For tricky passages he breaks things down very clearly so you really know how to practice them. He gently nudged me into doing a bit of composition when every bone in my body wanted to resist (“I can’t do that!” said the inner voice) and actually it was quite interesting and rewarding. He is thoughtful about giving choice as to what piece you learn and working out what makes sense for your progression. I highly recommend learning with him. Plus the piano he has is really beautiful to play on.
- Jonathan is a natural teacher who really understands his students needs and frustrations. He will listen and slowly and methodically work through your problems.
- My 12 year old son has been learning piano with Jonathan for around 8 months, having played the drums for many years before that. He is most interested in composition/ improvisation, to complement the music he already enjoys. He had not read music before, and Jonathan has encouraged him along with this whilst also giving him the freedom to experiment and compose his own music. Jonathan has also managed to find the perfect music book to inspire him. Ollie is hoping to do music GCSE, and the knowledge he has gained from Jonathan will give him a great head start with this. Ultimately though, the most important thing is that Ollie thoroughly enjoys the lessons and comes home keen to practice and play. I would have no hesitation in recommending Jonathan to family and friends.
- Jonathan is my 7 year old sons Piano teacher and has been for just under a year. He is so patient, fun and extremely good at getting Ryan to understand. Ryan thoroughly enjoys his lessons and always looks forward to going, he has come on very well since starting with Jonathan. Always on hand to answer any questions when I need him to verify that Ryan is practicing correctly at home.
- I really enjoy my piano lessons with Jonathon, in the last 6 months my motivation and musical skills have developed immensely. Which is all down to Jonathon’s teaching, (plus my practice). I enjoy the exercises he gives me to do, to improve my technique, plus his attention to detail to improve my playing is very supportive and valuable. The pieces I play are interesting, challenging and engaging. I am also looking forward to playing in a concert one day, when he organises one. Anne
- I first started playing the piano 2 years ago, I was 10 almost 11 and I was excited and worried. Excited about learning an instrument and worried that my teacher would be like my friend’s teachers, tough, strict and was always trying to push him to do grades. This was what I thought piano teachers would be like, and then I met John. He was young, kind, funny and never mentioned grades until he thought I was ready and even then he asked me if I wanted to do them. After a year and half of playing I did grade 2 because he thought that I was a lot better then grade 1 and all the while my friend who had already been playing for 5 years did the same grade as me and when he found out about this incredible piano (and bass) teacher he switched to him and had as much fun as me. John taught me composition and let me use his incredible recording equipment on which I recorded 3 songs and wrote and recorded my own composition. I came away from John knowing more about music than I ever thought would be possible. He will teach you any type of music or any song you want (as long as it is within your level) be it jazz, classical, pop or theme tunes. I was extremely lucky with my first piano teacher and I am still playing today. The only reason I stopped doing piano with Jon was because he moved and I would still be doing piano with him today if he didn’t.
- I've been having lessons with Jonathan for just over a year now and my playing has improved a great deal. He is meticulous in his approach to improving technique, however manages to still make the lessons thoroughly enjoyable. On top of that, he's very friendly and approachable and a pleasure to spend time with each week.
- Jonathan is a great teacher! I'm 25 and had never played the piano before but felt comfortable and encouraged to progress through our lessons. Highly recommend!
- I think Jon is a bit of a miracle. He has got my son absolutely inspired and fired-up about music-making. He was keen to learn but to be honest I wasn’t sure if he wouldn’t lose interest after a while. Since starting learning with Jon I have seen him attack the piano with real energy every day. I have never asked him to practice – not once. In fact, I am afraid I have to ask him to stop sometimes… I think this is a lot down to Jon. From what my son says, Jon is quite tough and expects real commitment but somehow he has also demonstrated what it is like to really enjoy making music. I have watched my son practice chords which seems a great way of learning structure, he says in his lessons he uses the chords to “do whatever I like” then “Jon does some magic up there…” (indicating the other end of the piano.) What is so impressive is that my son doesn’t work hard at the piano to please Jon but to challenge himself, I have never seen this in him to quite this extent before, and I think it is the mark of a really good teacher. What he is getting is a fantastic lesson in how learning works. Jon is relaxed but not laid-back, he is clear about what is required and how to do it – basically he seems to be an excellent communicator and a teacher with really original and engaging ideas. I have also, on a more pedestrian note, found him very accommodating and helpful when football and other life-events interfere with the lesson-schedule.
- Jonathan is a great piano teacher whose flexible approach allows me to learn the pieces I want whilst allowing me to work through grades at a pace that suits me. Highly recommend!
- Jonathan has been teaching myself and my son for over a year. I have been learning piano and have just taken my grade 2 exam which I was very pleased to pass, he is a very patient teacher who doesn’t get frustrated, explains things well and makes me feel at ease even though I get very nervous playing in front of people. Jonathan has also been teaching my son bass guitar, he has not been studying for an exam but enjoys the freedom of learning songs that he likes, which Jonathan works out with him and records on his iPad. He likes Jonathan very much and always enjoys his lessons. I would highly recommend him as a teacher for both instruments
- We found Jonathan to be dedicated, knowledgeable and very competent. My son really liked and looked up to him and found the lessons fun. I believe Jonathan has a lot to offer teaching children as they have a tendency to relate better with the younger, fresher approach Jonathan offers
- Dear Jonathan, I just wanted to thank you for being such an inspirational teacher to Theo, Freya and I. I have been particularly impressed with the way you relate to Theo and Freya and the insightful way you adapt the lessons, inventing various musical games to create so much fun that the children really enjoy. You have made learning music an absolute pleasure for all of us. The children get very excited when you're coming over and talk about you a lot! As a family we have become very fond of you over the two years we have known you - you feel like a friend who teaches rather than just a teacher. The children are missing you and wanted me to pass on their own messages:
- Theo: "Jonathan you are the funniest teacher I have had and a really lovely person. I love the lessons and your company and friendship are really great. I really liked it when you taught me Star Wars and thought it would help me if I become a keyboard player in a band. I want to be just like YOU! Love Theo xxx
- Freya: "I really love our lessons especially playing on the ipad and making my song! You are really funny, really friendly and lovely and amazing at the piano. I get very excited when you're coming over! I am really looking forward to seeing you soon. Love Freya xxx"
- Our daughter has just started having piano lessons and we are so pleased with how well she has taken to them, and Jonathan her teacher. Daisy is very shy but has been put completely at ease, during her lessons and is always looking forward to the next one. A lot of this is thanks to how Jonathan teaches, and by adding some fun using games during the lessons, means Daisy really enjoys her weekly lessons. Daisy has been telling all of her friends that if they want to learn piano they should ask for Jonathan to be their teacher!!
- Jonathan quickly got both of my sons engaged, enthusiastic and practising piano everyday without ever being asked! He seems to combine enthusiasm, general coolness, and discipline in ways that are very effective. Although the boys were at very different levels, and have very different personalities and learning styles, he seems to get the best from both of them. The eldest loves being able to choose the music that they learn together. He talks quietly to them without patronising them, he uses technology in ways they can respond to, and he inspires them to play well for him. I can't recommend Jonathan highly enough - although the neighbours might feel differently about the piano being played from 7am onwards!!"
- Olivia has piano lessons with Jonathan. We are absolutely delighted with him. He is helpful if we need to alter lessons, is either on time or early… and great with her. Olivia has gone from basic pieces, self taught, when he started with her to now playing chords and much more complex pieces, in which I feel is a very short space of time. She always enjoys her lessons and he is able to teach her using music that is in the charts now as well as classic pieces, so he is able to work with her on her level.
- I have been taking piano lessons with Jon for just over 6 months and have thoroughly enjoyed all of my lessons. He is an excellent teacher and in the short time I’ve been with him, I feel that my playing has significantly improved. We are currently focusing on classical style music, however he teaches a wide range of styles and is constantly reminding me that if I’m not enjoying a particular piece or style, we can play something else. He has a fantastic studio and incorporates recording into lessons, which is both enjoyable and highly beneficial. I would highly recommend Jon to players of any age, as he’s a friendly and approachable guy that delivers great results!
- Jonathan is confident, polite, punctual and innovative in his teaching. He has made Amber rediscover her love for piano and she is keen to practice and looks forward to her lessons. Jonathan uses dynamic modern methods of teaching that keep Amber engaged. As a parent with no musical instrument experience I found confidence in knowing that Jonathan uses his abilities as a teacher to educate my daughter in a fun way. Thank you again. I have no doubt that Amber will be sailing through her grades and enjoying participating in many more concerts with the support of her wonderful teacher Jonathan
- Really happy with the lessons so far and think Joshua’s appreciating the fun/games/recording music/rhythm on Jonathan’s ipad etc. It can be a challenge to encourage practice, along with spellings, homework and all the other things we have to try and fit into our week- learning two hands together requires lots of concentration on his part, so it’s great to then be able to have some games in the lesson too! But we’re keen to take it slowly and just to encourage his progress. Yesterday Jonathan took him back to the first tunes he started with in September which really encouraged him of progress made. Communication has been great and Jonathan’s given lots of notice if he’s had to rearrange/cancel a lesson due to holiday etc.
- Jonathan has been teaching my 5 year old son to play the piano for about 6 months. We are very pleased with how Ollie is progressing and he seems to really enjoy his piano lessons. Jonathan makes a real effort to engage Ollie and has written out the music for Ollie’s favourite band so that he can practice it
- Jonathan is a great teacher. Ned has made really good progress since he started lessons with Jonathan and has been much more motivated to practice (which he normally does for 15 mins a day without needing to be nagged). This is a real turning point as the whole ‘practice’ issue used to be a bit stressful. He also helped and advised us when we needed to upgrade Ned’s instrument. Jonathan is extremely punctual, reliable but also flexible and very considerate. Ned is really happy with his lessons, he has great respect for Jonathan who encourages but also challenges him.
- Jonathan has been teaching my son, Toby, for a month now and it has been a real success. He has been a clear and patient teacher and has really encouraged Toby to practise, through his unpatronising praise and enthusiasm for his subject. Toby had played guitar before, but was new to the keyboard and Jonathan has got him playing several tunes and understanding simple music scores too within two lessons.”
- “My name is Toby. Jonathan is a patient and kind teacher, he is also very understanding when it takes a while to learn a new technique. I also like that he has a very similar taste in music to me.
- We very pleased with Alice and Max’s piano teacher, he is so patient, clear and reliable. The lessons are very hassle free – we previously had to travel to a teachers house – this is just so much better. Jonathan picks just the right music for them and they are enjoying playing, thank you!
- Our seven year old son absolutely loves his lessons with Jonathan. He gets really excited in the days leading up to them, eager to perform tunes he’s been practising for homework. Jonathan seems to have a very natural way with children and his fun and varied classes greatly appeal to them. I would have no hesitation in recommending Jonathan as your child’s teacher
- Jonathan has been a very patient teacher since I started learning the bass. He is very clear in his instructions as to what he wants me to do and achieve in each lesson. I’m the type of person that needs to be pushed towards a goal without being pushed too hard and Jonathan has found the right balance for me. He encourages me when he knows I can do better, but still teaches at a pace that I am comfortable with. I always enjoy my lessons and have started having two a week!!
- Our son and daughter (12 and9) have been having piano lessons with Jon for the last 9 months. His rapport with them is excellent. They are both extremely motivated and thoroughly enjoying their lessons and practise! Jon is strict in a way that engenders admirable self discipline whist still keeping the lessons fun. They understand that he will notice if they haven’t practised and the result will be less time to play fun games at the end of the lesson. They are making excellent progress and growing in confidence too. Jon is always polite and on time. On the one occasion he needed to change a lesson time we were given plenty of notice. We couldn’t be happier!
- Jonathan is a great teacher. He has given Leola new confidence… and most of all Leola is very happy & enjoying her lessons
- We continue to be delighted with the quality of teaching and professionalism shown by Jonathan and his flexibility over the summer holiday was much appreciated. Ned really enjoys his lessons and we have been very impressed at the progress he has made. We are very glad to have found such a great teacher for Ned and would highly recommend him to others
Copyright © Jonathan Dear 2015. All rights reserved